If you’re interested in deploying BoomBox, contact us through the form below.
If you’ve never soldered or programmed hardware before, don’t worry, we’ll take you through it.
BoomBox connects to the camera trap’s PIR motion sensor. When the PIR motion sensor is triggered, BoomBox plays an audio file, allowing for playback experiments that can capture animal responses to specific audio cues. The system is an adaptation of this one here.
BoomBox v0.6 has been deployed in Serengeti National Park, Tanzania, East Africa. Upcoming deployments include Gorongosa National Park, Mozambique, Southern Africa.
When using and referencing this design, please cite:
Palmer, M. S., Plucinski, J., Akiba., & Pringle, R. Automated Behavioural Response Camera Trap Module for Wildlife Playback Experiments (In Prep)
Animal footage courtesy of Dr. Meredith Palmer and her team.
- 6-8 months battery life
- 16MB flash memory (approximately 15 minutes of MP3 play time). The number of audio files depends on length and quality of audio files.
- Can trigger directly from trailcam
- Can trigger via it’s own PIR motion sensor
- Can play MP3s sequentially, randomly, or in any way you can program
- Open source software
|Power consumption||0.3 mA in sleep mode|
|Speakers||2 x 2-inch, 4 ohm, 5W speakers|
|Batteries||3 x AA|
|Operating Temperature Range||0 to 70 degrees Celsius|
32 to 158 Fahrenheit
|Amplifier||3W/channel stereo amplifier IC PAM8403|
|MP3 decoder IC||YX6100|
|Enclosure||115 x 90 x 55mm|
Has 'ears' for easier mounting
|Enclosure rating||IP65 |
Dust proof, and withstands water jets projected by a nozzle 6.3 mm eg. rainproof
The rest of the specs (for example, the motion sensing distance and camera recording) are as per the camera trap model.
BoomBox v0.6 is compatible with the following camera trap models
- Bushnell Trophy Cam Model #119877B (verified, deployed 2019)
- Reconyx HP2X Hyperfire2 Professional (deploying 2021)
- Spypoint’s Force-Dark, (deploying 2021)
- Browning Strike Force Pro (deploying 2021)
- Bushnell Core Low Glow (in testing phase)
In The Box
- BoomBox circuit board
- 2 x speakers
- AA battery holder
- Cable gland
- 1 x IP65 enclosure (waterproof, dust proof).
- Enclosure dimensions: 115 x 90 x 55mm with mounting ear
- USB programming dongle
* requires 3 x AA batteries. mounting and speaker enclosures not included.